Sunday, April 27, 2008

Decorations

Palm trees
supplies: Cardboard tubes (any size – the 5ft ones come from upholstery shops. The carpet cores are reused, so you may have to ask for broken ones and just use one end. Try calling carpet installers to see if they can save the ones they use from remnants.) paper bags, tape, green paper, chenille stems
-Cut bags into long strips 4”-5” wide. Cut fringe. Wrap these in a spiral around tube, taping as you go. Ruffle fringe pieces. Cut leaf shapes from green paper, fringe edges. Tape a chenille stem or wire in center of leaf.
Tuck palms in top of tube and tape inside. Arrange wire to make them stand up or lay down.

Cardboard Sandcastle About 2 hours from start to finish (not including drying time.) link is posted in link list on left side of page.
I used playground sand from Home Depot. 50lbs for $3.99. I don’t like the color. If I were to do it again, I’d splurge for craft sand. What am I going to do with the leftover 49lbs anyway?
The spray glue worked great. There was very little warping like I would’ve expected with liquid glue.
I couldn’t find a couple tubes in the size I wanted so I just rolled a few pieces of cardstock.
I painted it a light tan before I glued.
The sand hides the score marks in the tubes well.

Tiki Hut
supplies: Rectangular table with card table type braces, cardboard tubes, large paper sacks opened and fringed, large cardboard box opened. Large enough to cover whole table, plus extra sheets or plywood, Straw beach mat or table cloth
-Turn Table upside down. Set on another table.
Place a cardboard tube on each leg. Back tubes should be 4”-7” taller than front.
Cover cardboard with fringed paper sacks and attach to tubes with staple gun or tape.
Cover bottom of table with cardboard or plywood.
Cover with table cloth or straw beach mat.
Fringed umbrella
supplies: borrow a giant umbrella, tape, large paper sacks
-Cut sacks into manageable sizes. Fringe. Tape to umbrella.

No comments: